Apr 24, 2013

Contemplating

Today I had the opportunity to join some neighborhood friends and go to the zoo with our kiddos. It was a beautiful day with perfect weather and just the right sun. It was even more fun because the animals seemed to enjoy the day too.

As we were walking through the zoo, I enjoyed having the opportunity to just focus on my kids. I didn't have technology to distract me, chores that were begging to be done, or other items on the "to do" list that were anxiously competing for my attention.

But it also gave me more time to think about them. The innocence they have. How pure they are. How perfect their little minds are. They are learning constantly. Like my post yesterday, they are sponges. They are eagerly waiting to soak in new things. It is our job, to provide them the atmosphere to become the amazing little things they can be.

The event that really got me thinking, was when we went to see the gorillas. The zoo has a mom, dad, and baby. As the baby slept, the parents fought. Many of the visitors followed the gorillas back and forth from room to room. I have to admit, I did too! It seemed funny. Harmless. The female continually swung her blanket at the male as his frustration just grew. He occasionally swatted at her and she would quickly climb to where he could not get to her. Then a few moments later it would begin again. I had not thought about how it could appear to my sweet children.  As I held Bug, she smiled and pointed to the gorillas as they went back and forth; however, I soon realized that my ignorance was impacting Snuggles. He had quickly found my side and snuggled in, head turned away from the gorillas. I put him on my knee and held him so he could see. He covered his eyes... I then realized that my sweet little boy could feel the contention being emulated from these animals. I quickly gathered our things, and walked out the door.

Some would say that we need to not shelter our children. They should experience the harsh realities of this world. I would say, it is our responsibility as parents, adults, and authority figures to provide safe environments for the children around us. I was grateful that the contention made him uncomfortable. It shows it is foreign. He does not experience that. I pray that it stays that way.

That was my thought for the day... If things are foreign, uncommon, uncomfortable; our children will steer away from those things. Those things that we don't want them doing, they will not want to do. Not to say that as they get older, there should not be conversations about those things, because there should be. But if it is not acceptable, it should not be in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment