Mar 20, 2013

Wild Wednesday Ratios

I have been contemplating this idea for some time, but due to recent events in my life, I have found myself really trying to put it into action.  When I was working on my Pscychology degree I remember hearing about it.  It didn't really sink in though... Then I began teaching elementary school and we were in a district that was making significant changes because of NCLB.  One of the items the school I worked at decided to practice this ratio effect.  That is the first time I really understood the reason for it and what an impact it could have (on my students at least).  After leaving the working "out of home" world, I have once again began seeing the importance of ratios!  In my marriage, with my children, with other family members; how their ratios impact me, and also how my thinking ratios impact me... 

Now, you are saying to yourself, "what is she rambling on about ratios for?  I didn't understand them in math, why do I want to read about them now?"  Stick with me... I promis I am getting there.

In life we experience hardships with triumph, wins and losses, blessings and trials.  Without one we cannot understand the other.  However, when the negatives begin to outweigh the positives we can see a deterioration in living.  Have you ever noticed that when all you hear are negatives and things that are going wrong, it makes it hard to push forward? 

So, in an effort to be better, I have been trying to focus on the ratios I use in my life.  80 to 20 is the ideal positive to negative ratio (that I remember and have been trying to do.  If there is a different ratio please correct me).  What this means that in your daily communications (children, spouse, co-workers, YOURSELF)  you need to say four positive things in exchange for ONE  negative!  4:1!  Now, I am not saying that there isn't a place for correction.  There is a 1 there.  But as you are going through your daily routine, see where your ratios are at.  Maybe take an opportunity to try this 80 to 20 ratio and see how your day will change.  You may be surprised at how much not only you change, but those around you do too!


No comments:

Post a Comment